Humans used to be a nomadic race, going from one place to another in search of better food and water. There are still some communities in the world, which retain their nomadic beginnings. We can just imagine the very first humans, who inexplicably bring up an image of the Flintstones, deciding to take their first journey.
That is when they would have come face to face with the most difficult of things: How to pack correctly? Like everything with traveling, it is best to prepare for your holidays in advance.
HOW TO PACK CORRECTLY
Frankly, how do you pack for a trip? We can understand the urge to take along everything, but unless you live in a big RV Bus, it is quite impossible. If you do live in a huge RV, even then taking everything along on your trip to overseas would be impossible. So, now having established the need for packing, let us finally move towards the methods the can be employed.
PACK SMART NOT HEAVY
Just as you should work smart and not work harder, so is the case with packing. Packing smart is only possible if you have a proper system in place. You can take the following steps to ensure that you pack smart for your next trip.
SELECTING THE RIGHT BAG
You start your packing by selecting the right bag. If you are packing for a hiking trip then a bag form North Face would be more appropriate than your regular duffel bag. On the other hand, an overseas trip would warrant an upright trolley suitcase, which is easier to carry around.
Being organized is the key to packing everything you need for the trip. We suggest that you should start by making a checklist of all the things that you will need.
If you are traveling overseas, then it would be better to have all the things in separate sections. The documents need to be present in a very accessible place, so that they can be taken out at a moment’s notice.
On the other hand, if you are packing for a stay at a hotel, there is no need to pack every little accessory.
PERSONAL COMFORT IS IMPORTANT
Your handbag should ideally contain things which you need to keep yourself comfortable during the actual travel. If you’re traveling by air then this could include your neck pillow, a sleeping mask, your favorite pair of headphones, etc. It should also have your travel documents, just in case you need to show them.
Perhaps, it would be better to make the checklist before you start anything else. Start with making a list of all the things that you may need on the trip. This should include your clothing, shoes, laptop, toiletries, etc.
After you have made this first draft, it is highly advisable to revise it removing anything which has been included purely because you are attached to it. The main thing to understand here is that when packing, space is at a premium. For example, you don’t really need those three pair of shoes for just a weekend.
THE ACTUAL PACKING
Packing a suitcase properly is an art. However it can only be done after you decided what you’re going to carry with you. So, traditionally this step would come after you have made the checklist and revised it to leave out any unnecessary things. To pack efficiently, please use the following tips.
Tips for packing
- When packing a suitcase, especially a vertical one, it is better to put the heavier things at the bottom. This will prevent it from twisting and falling at every turn that you make with it.
- Pack all your toiletries in a small plastic bag and make sure that even if something untoward happens, the bag won’t leak and ruin all your beautiful clothes.
- If you’re going to carry jackets then it would pay off to buy reusable compressor bags. They can save up to 75% of the space originally taken by outerwear apparel.
- For your regular clothes, the best way to pack them is to use the time-tested roll method. To do this, simply fold the items using the regular method and then roll them into a tight bundle. Contrary to popular perception, it will actually help in reducing the number of wrinkles on your clothes. Also, using this, items can be stacked one over the other without taking much space.
- It is highly unadvisable to pack any sharp objects for an airplane ride. Just go over the list of common items which are not allowed, to be sure that you do not have to deal with the hassle of parting with your favorite knife.
More packing tips
- It would be better to carry any valuables on your person rather than in the luggage. You never know what is going to happen to it and the insurance will not cover the cost in case your items are misplaced.
- Using wheeled upright bags can save you a lot of trouble, especially if you are traveling alone.
- Sometimes, it is better to skip common accessories like shampoos and other toiletries which can be easily bought for nominal amounts from the place you are traveling to.
This is it. These are our tips for packing smart instead of having to lug around all the heavy stuff. And what’s more, we have summarized all of this into the following infographic: