South Africa Bike Trails and Off road biking is an increasingly popular sport in South Africa, and little wonder with the fantastic weather in this country and the stunning natural scenery. Coupled with excellent infrastructure and fabulous accommodation, and a biking holiday with friends or your family can be a memorable and healthy way to spend your time. There are literally hundreds of mountain bike trails across the country, from the valleys of the Magaliesberg in Gauteng and the extraordinary scenic beauty of the Drakensberg to the spectacular landscape of the Cape Winelands and the picturesque villages along the Garden Route. Find a mountain bike or road bicycle on Gumtree South Africa and explore some of these glorious spots:
11 Top South Africa Bike Trails
- The Magaliesberg, outside of Johannesburg and Pretoria, has mountains and valleys and great bush to cycle through. Hit the local tourist offices and get a map of the routes on offer for a great outdoor experience.
- In KwaZulu-Natal is the really pretty Midlands Meander route. Here, you can spend a few days running along the R103 from Estcourt into the pretty town of Howick, taking in the Howick Falls, Karkloof, and the hills and dales of the sugar cane plantations.
- The Drakensberg is just wonderful and accommodation is really superb. If you are a little more serious about your sport, you can join the Sani Pass Bike Epic, taking you to the top of Africa, and also the Volvo Classic.
- Outside of Johannesburg towards Heidelberg is the Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve, offering over 60 kilometres of challenging and fascinating nature trails with great opportunities to view animals and birds.
- Sabie in Mpumalanga is a wonderful spot with hilly and challenging routes taking you to spectacular waterfalls and the Blyde River Canyon. Accommodation is quaint, and the hospitality in this part of the world is excellent.
- Table Mountain in the Cape is a great place too for a weekend cycle with fabulous views of the city, the waterfront, and the beaches of this great mother city, all within a short ride of your hotel or family accommodation.
- The Garden Route offers a range of short and long cycle trails all along its string of great little towns, including Knysna and Wilderness with great seascape views or inland trails along lakes and rivers.
- The South Coast south of Durban is also a biker’s paradise. Trails along Port Edward are well known for the challenging ride, great scenery, and wonderful warm Indian Ocean at your doorstep for a refreshing swim.
- Hogsback in the Eastern Cape is a lovely place with a different natural setting. You’ll find beautiful open landscapes as well as a lovely sense of history and charm in this old farming community.
- While in the Eastern Cape, you can ride the Owl House cycle route which is a nice day or two of cycling. You can visit the famous Owl House while on your tour.
- The Cape Winelands area is also lovely. The difficult Hellshoogte Pass between Stellenbosch and the R45 on the Winelands route will give you a great weekend of mountain biking South Africa Bike Trails .
Also check out our Insider’s Guide To: South Africa