Or if you prefer – here is a nice list of 10 things to avoid doing – do the opposite and keep yourself safer while out on the road visiting all those fun new places around the world.
1. Always carry too much stuff (bags etc.) for too long even when it isn’t necessary. If you have a big, wide, heavy backpack on your back and both hands busy holding some other bags, you’re a piece of cake for muggers.
2. Wander aimlessly around town and look like you’re lost – add a big city map for extra attention.
3. Act and dress like a tourist to make yourself an easy target
4. Carry and always be seen reading your Lonely Planet guide in public.
5. Walk alone at night in dark, empty streets – one person is much easier to mug than two, especially on empty dark streets where there is nobody to witness it.
6. Get drunk, and walk around alone preferably lost – when drunk you’re weaker, have slower reactions, and have no control over your body – You’re a mugger’s dream!
7. Wear expensive or expensive-looking clothes with big known label flashing – that’s a perfect way of expressing ”I like to spend triple the amount of money on the same t-shirt only to get that crocodile (Lacoste) figure on my chest! I’m a walking juicy fat two-legged wallet”
8. Avoid groups of two or more people and walk in dark alleys and side street at night.
9. Carry a Fanny Pack around your waist or neck on top of all clothes – that’s like yelling out loud ”I have gathered all my most precious belongings; pass, money, credit cards and camera in one and the same place right on top of everything. Just come and get it!”
10. And lastly… please see the humor (and warnings) in this post – learn from mine and others mistakes and make sure you take care of yourself while out traveling in the ‘big bad world’ – common sense REALLY is king!
Do you have any other suggestions of things to do if you want to get mugged? Maybe a story to share that we can learn from?